• Announcements

• Alysea

Discord Server   09/28/2016

Hello everyone, We now have a Discord Server for Royal Revolt 2! You can head out here to join us! Please note that this is not a support channel and it is not an official channel. If you need to contact the support, please go here: http://support.flaregames.com
Maerique

3 Pages of Problems & How to Fix Them!

An Exhaustive List of all The Ways Flare went Wrong with Royal Revolt!
Please note this is not a comprehensive list this is just exhausting it's so long!

By Category, Ordered by Importance:

1 Boring/Repetitive Gameplay
2 Improper Balancing
3 Non-Sense Errors
4 Difficult Interface

In general Flare's major fault is creating new content instead of fixing old content. Albeit, I should note I love the Pro League!

1 Boring/Repetitive Gameplay

1.A War Season

Problem:
I've fought in like 200+ War Seasons now. And probably 50% of the War Seasons we will wind up fighting the same damn Alliance 4 to 5 times or more. That means you're playing out the exact same raid, you know exactly how it's going to go all the challenges and surprises are gone. How the hell can we blame players for not participating! Flare's made it work not fun!

Proposed Solution:
Change the stupid looking honey comb map to a map that looks like the board game Risk! Make each “country” (fiefdom) have it's own significant bonuses and disadvantages.
I would apply these only to the team attacking from that “country” (fiefdom). The reason for that is, you don't want to have to rebuild your defenses for each new fiefdom your Alliance takes.
I would attempt to balance out the advantages and disadvantages as much as absolutely possible, but even where the balancing isn't perfect (which it won't be). That's fine because (1) there should be some strategic advantage to trying to get a hold certain fiefdoms. Plus (2) that advantage only applies to an attack from that fiefdom so it's limited and doesn't cause an imbalance throughout the whole map/attacks.
Next the defenders of each fiefdom should be distributed like Risk pieces on the fiefdom. Now everyone can attack every fiefdom where there Alliances are at War, but the selection of defenders are limited. Depending on Alliance size an alliance may be require to have 5 defenders on each fiefdom. Therefore the more an Alliance spreads throughout the map the more they will be forced to play their weaker players as defenders. This will help balance out the wars when compared to an alliance with only one fiefdom left only using it's top 5 defenders.

1.B Ninja Event

Problem:
The ninja event is just plain tedious! I was just bitching about 4 to 5 repetitions! This is 30 repetitions every 3 weeks. Again Flare! The lack of participation is not the player's fault! You are boring them out of your game! When I play the Ninja event the first 20 battles aren't even a challenge the only problem is do I get so bored, so on auto pilot that I accidentally miss a tower. The challenge of your game shouldn't be white knuckling through the boredom. I believe the fundamental flaw to the Ninja event is the dividing line between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... Shouldn't be the stupid little gate tower that got missed because a player's raiding force was so insanely powerful because the raid was so boringly easy!

Proposed Solutions:
Create a style of gameplay/scoring more similar to the Pro League. And yes people will exploit it by dropping trophies! I already do! Just to make sure I can always take first in the Ninja Event I play 1,000 trophies lower than I used to!
Another completely different and more simple way to make the ninja event more interesting (this isn't enough, but it would help). Make the Seasonal Boosts start earlier and run through the Ninja Event so you at least get different styles of gameplay. If you want to be stingy, you could make those boosts, only apply to the Ninja Event! And then the day latter it applies to the whole game as usual. Obviously, this would require making the Ninja Event a little harder to balance out the boosts.

1.C Festivals

Note:
The festivals are pretty good... But still can be a little tedious at times.

Solution:
You hit it out of the park with the Pro League! So I'm going to suggest you base the festivals on the Pro League Engine (cause I don't pay to play, and I won't pay to play). But you would get me playing more if I could play the Pro League style of gameplay, even if I weren't getting the rewards!

2 Improper Balancing

Problem Summary:
Gargoyles, Mortars, and Arrow Towers are never used (except during the bi-monthly 3 day seasonal boost)! Further Paladins, Frost Towers, and Gargoyle Towers are rarely used. And finally, virtually every building is weak to Fire and most of the high-end units are weak to Ice!

2.A Gargoyles

Note:
Flare started boosting the Gargoyles offensive stats which at Level 6 has helped, but not enough.

Problem:
My alliance (Knights who say Ni), and most all Alliances keep Storm Cannons boosted 24/7. And there's no reason to use Gargoyle when Storm Canons are boosted.

Note:
Flare actually did a good job balancing between the Boosted Range Bomber and unboosted Skull Tower / Poison Tower.

Proposed Solutions:
Make the Gargoyle even more unique! The reason I'm pissed that I can't use the Gargoyle is it's one of the very few truly unique units, and it's useless!
Currently the Gargoyle only jumps from one lane to another if something immediately in the next lane draws him over. But make him always jump! That way he's potentially useful heading off on coming enemy troops and allowing your King to focus on destroying Towers. This would also allow the Gargoyles to take a short cut through any enemy paths and would allow him to catch up to the King very quickly even if the King is calling Gargoyles from the tent to the Enemy Gates. Again this would make the Gargoyle's unique feature a real asset to the game, it would increase the variety in game play, and potentially increase the variety in paths as some player's may redesign their paths to prevent the Gargoyle from making this short cut.

Other Solutions:
Increase the Gargoyle's offensive stats even more to make it competitive with the boosted Storm Canon. Then to maintain balance so it doesn't become too much early in the game is simply make it harder to unlock the stronger and stronger levels of Gargoyle.

Or allow Alliances to have a Gargoyle boost.

2.B Mortars

Problem:
Mortars and Canons have the same weakness: Fire. And at the same Morale cost, when you are filling up your defensive waves a Storm Canon is worth far more than a Mortar. So again we're losing variation in Game Play.

Solution:
Make the Mortar Weak to Ice or Piercing. Then defense can salt and pepper Storm Canons and Mortars which would provide a lot of variety: Large Area Effect Poison from Mortars vs. Pin Point Damage from Storm Canons.

2.C Arrow Towers

Problem:
No one should ever use these crap Towers Flare made us build (unless of course the Eagle Tower boost is active that one 3 day, 1 month per year time!)

Proposed Solutions:
Reduce the Range of the Eagle Tower Boost (a little not too much), and then make the Eagle Tower boost the Elite Boost and make the Poison Tower Boost the Seasonal Boost. And just scrap the Healing Tower Boost you already have the actual Heal Tower.
Or somewhat increase the Range of the standard Arrow Tower (unboosted), then dramatically decrease the rate of fire (maybe once every 3 seconds), and dramatically increase the Damage. So you have created a sniper tower. It can get swarmed by a lot of little units, but it's good at picking off big units! But now you have created a tower that is the exact opposite of a Firebolt Tower: low rate of fire and high damage. And increased variety in the game again.

2.D Paladins

Note:
First off thanks for working on the Paladins (removing the Ice weakness). I have my fingers crossed to see an improvement.

Problem:
But, I doubt we'll see them used on offense because they are just too weak to Poison Towers. I considered using both Knights and Paladins on offense. Knights are faster so hopefully they'll run ahead and take out the Poison Towers, but if I had Knights and Paladins they I need a unit that I can call quickly near the end of the battle like the Werewolf or Mummy! But then I don't have anything for destroying the Towers that are set back from the path.

Proposed Solutions:
Give the Paladin a longer Range. The freaking Monk can hit the Towers set back off the path. Let the Paladin do it! And if you don't want him to be able to do it early in the game just give him an upgradable stat I can use pearls to upgrade his range.
Or fix my Gargoyle like I asked so they always jump the path then I have a unit that I can call quickly and can destroy set back towers!

2.E Frost Towers

Note:
Flare almost made them worth using when they increased their range.

Problem:
But then Flare made like 3 new building all Weak to Fire and now way too many structures are weak to Fire to put another Tower with a Fire Weakness in.

Solution:
The Frost Tower is a Giant Firehose! There's no reason it should be weak to Fire! (If that makes it too powerful you can just reduce the overall health slightly.)

2.F Gargoyle Towers

Problem:
Gargoyle Towers are only really useful with Gargoyle Nest.

Solution:
Again, I'd just take away the Weakness to Ice. Note all Ice Units/Towers have to be Weak to Fire and vice versa. Firebolt Towers (with Fire Damage) are Weak to Fire not Ice.

2.G Basilisk Tower

Problem #1:
It's not a Tower it's a monster! Fix the name!

Problem #2:
All Towers are Weak to Blunt Damage (only the Skull Tower has a limited Weakness, but still a Weakness). Flare's logic was clearly building are weak to blunt damage. Fine/Whatever! Basilisk “Tower” isn't a building! You had one chance to increase variety in the “Towers” and you failed like you were phoning it in! Worse almost buildings are weak to Fire, again: Fail! Again, again, again... All Building have a high resistance to Poison! Fail! Fail! Fail!

Solution:
Make Basilisk “Tower” weak to Piercing and Normal Damage! Best yet, a King time Sword Rain to try to hit it when it's head pops up (Whack-a-Mole style)! Then eliminate the Weakness to Poison! Now you have a very unique “Monster” in the “Tower” category!

2.H Werewolves/Necromancers

Problem:
Werewolves and Necromancers should be able to work together so that the Werewolves can whip the Necromancer's skeletons into a furry. This would make some awesome defensive waves! But since they both have the same Weaknesses they aren't ideal for using together!

Solution:
Make Necromancers Weak to Fire! It makes sense: “Burn the Witch!” And in that case you could probably dial back her crazy 3X health on Defense because with the new synergy with the Werewolf she would become more powerful! (Wow! Did I just make sense of a problem you couldn't figure out and had to fix with an embarrassing fudge factor. Yes I did. I'm good at this. And if you need to hire me, I can do that. I have a degree in computer science with a concentration in video game design.)

* Note, I skipped 2I, if you worked in film you'd understand.

2.J Lighting Tower

Problem:
The Lighting Tower and The Firebolt Tower are the only two towers set back from the path, but they have the same weakness! If they hid different weaknesses it would give Kings more reasons to choose one as opposed to the other when trying to decide what to fill their corners / paths with. Further a weakness to Fire is pretty stupid for a Tower with a Molten Core and Wire Frame Work!

Solution:
Make the Lighting Tower weak to piercing. That actually make sense that something piercing it might short circuit it! That way a King can try to hit it with Sword Rain before it zaps him.

3 Non-Sense Errors

3.A Viking

Problem #1:
Carries a Giant Shield shield and has no Resistance to Piercing!

Solution:
Give him a Resistance to piercing (du)! I'd even give him an aura such that units around him have a resistance to piercing. That would again make him very unique!

Problem #2:
He's a Viking from the cold north, sometimes can be found in the Arctic Circle, @Fourofjacks. And he's weak to Ice!

Solution:
You should have named him Legionnaire. He actually behaves like a Legionnaire. (The name is actually a misnomer, but games use it for members of the Roman Army, they carried the big shields.)

3.B Random Canon Fire

Problem:
Canons Fire almost randomly by troop type. They don't fire at anything troops before the Monk. They do fire on Monks, Skelton, Necromancers, and maybe Vikings? But I've seen like 20 Canons try to roll right through a Giant Panda as she just beat them to a pulp.

Note:
Flare's B.S. excuse for that was they had to do it for balancing. Do your job figure it out! That's just lazy if that is the actual excuse!

Solution:
Decide what Canons fire on and what they do not. If they fire on troops have them fire on all troops. If not then have them fire on no troops. But if they fire on troops at least make it useful and have them fire on Beasts!

4 Difficult Interface

Note:
First thanks for the new Melt Button! (Unfortunately only in the Chamber of Fortune, but that was the most important place!) I would love to see one in the general inventory panel too!

4.A Inventory Management

Problem:
When accessing Inventory through the Meltdown Section of the Blacksmith, a player like myself with 80+ slots has to to a lot of scrolling through items I would never melt.

Solution:
In the inventory screen there should be a toggle to lock an item that prevents an item from being melted or sold, while the toggle is on. (It shouldn't even seen as melt option which would greatly limit the number of items I have to scroll through).

4.B Gem Confirmation Button

Note:
First thanks.  I did see a request for confirmation on gems spent for something recently...  I can't remember what it was...  So I think there has been some progress, but still not nearly enough!

Problem:
It's really easy to accidentally click and spend a 1,000+ gems on something really stupid. Examples are: Sometimes after ending a war a new deal will pop up requesting about 1,500 gems for something usually stupid. This can be accidentally clicked or! If the phone/tablet is loading slow you can click on a building just before the pop up, pops... And the game reads it as clicking to spend 1,500 gems! Further problems I've had: putting the phone in my pocket, and taking it out to find thousands of gems spent, dropping and catching the phone to find thousands of gems spent!

Solution:
Just put a confirmation screen in before gems are spent! Everybody's begging for it. Virtually every game has it. It's not cool that it hasn't been added to all non-war gem purchases.

Edited by Maerique

Basically, a list of all the things I've asked for, and still remember, but haven't gotten yet!

Oh, I really do want the Electrocutioner!

Albeit, thanks for everything so far:

Lightning Tower

Beasts

Melt Button

Blacksmith

And even the little things like...

Donate All Button

Edited by Maerique

Well said. Two comments tho.

1) while giving fiefdoms specific boosts/bonuses (+x% gold revenue? +x% unit hp?) is a great idea, it would (have to) turn a tower defense game into a for-real strategy game, and that's a whole new ball game, so much so that it'd be enough material for a separate game. It's probably too difficult/too much work to implement anyway. Much easier to make another bear pal.

2) gargoyles jumping lanes would create some interesting exploits, like spam gargoyles and they would just ignore a ⅓ of the path and go straight across the lane while you just wait at the first turn. Therefore lane jumping should be allowed once the king has actually reached that "across the lane" section and it's now "his turf". Figured I'd clarify on the rules of this before people groan that it breaks the game. :P

One more suggestion, minimize posts on the forums so one doesn't have to scroll 3 miles to find the replies :D

For the first part of what @JiggleFizziks said, it would be even better if alliances had a limited amount of resources to defend or attack tiles. Then we would really have to think about what we're doing!

4 hours ago, JiggleFizziks said:

2) Gargoyles jumping lanes would create some interesting exploits, like spam gargoyles and they would just ignore a ⅓ of the path and go straight across the lane while you just wait at the first turn. Therefore lane jumping should be allowed once the king has actually reached that "across the lane" section and it's now "his turf". Figured I'd clarify on the rules of this before people groan that it breaks the game. :P

I understand there would be balancing  to do there. 

But my gut reaction is to disagree. 

All bases use the adjacent lane design. 

That's not an exploit but an intentional feature which would be a reason for people to try designs that don't use adjacent lanes.  These are very different because the defenses on these paths are more brute force defence cause they know they aren't going to get eaten away by Archer fire from the next lane.

8 hours ago, QuantumApocalypse said:

One more suggestion, minimize posts on the forums so one doesn't have to scroll 3 miles to find the replies :D

Yeah the forum seems to break pages after x posts rather than after a page gets long enough. With several super long posts it really takes forever to scroll down while topics with much shorter posts are long multi page at this point. This should be code-able.

Wholeheartedly agree with 1A to make war season more exciting - that'd also be my number one to push through. Very happy that the number of attacks decreased and that  not the score of all players in an alliance count in the war, it definitely  lightened up the burden but it didn't add any spice to the war game either.

Would also like to see the melt button in the inventory and not just in chests/CoF (also being able to see pearl melting value, there is a different thread on that).

I'd like to see canons able to shoot beasts as well.

Not in your list but I'd like to see a quick shot of what are my current pearl upgrades and when they'll end.. kinda like the upgrade screen we have for worker based upgrades (there's been other posts on this going in more details), instead of having to click on each building/troops/spells to see if they're done and when there'll be done.. That would be on my top 5 requests.

And proving your point, I passed quickly over your comments and suggestions for unpopular towers and units, for the exact reason that you bring up that they are pretty much useless and I don't care much for them... but would be nice to have them relevant again. Except maybe frost towers, I don't see them a lot but I've been questioning lately if fully boosted they would not be in fact interesting seeing how I'm stuck on one of the dungeon levels with deadly frost towers and they are a pain to deal with.

edit: unholy paladin pro boost may make the paladins more relevant in offense (I haven't tested too much yet). I guess they are gonna use this new type of boosts (pro boosts, I 'm sure there'll be more) to make existing units including the less used ones more interesting in offense.

Edited by everline

Well... They changed loser bonus for teams, instead of x percent after losing, when teams are close in fiefdoms you now get 0.3*x as loser bonus, making it even more hard for some teams to survive.

Funny santa dance animated emoticon

Edited by Dena4

On 12/7/2017 at 5:18 AM, JiggleFizziks said:

2) gargoyles jumping lanes would create some interesting exploits, like spam gargoyles and they would just ignore a ⅓ of the path and go straight across the lane while you just wait at the first turn. Therefore lane jumping should be allowed once the king has actually reached that "across the lane" section and it's now "his turf". Figured I'd clarify on the rules of this before people groan that it breaks the game. :P

@JiggleFizziks, I actually currently have a path that would prevent Gargoyles from having this edge.  Due to the Doubly Boosted Stunning/Juggernaut Ogres, Cursed Cenotaphs, and Range Bombers, I thought this would be a good path design (while those boosts last). 

Screenshot_2017-12-08-08-16-41.thumb.png.7a949f0382ce094391c48bffda18d7c7.png

But unfortunately, because 2 of those 4 boosts are only seasonal this only becomes a viable alternative like every 3 or 4 months.  I would like to give Gargoyles more of an edge to give Kings more of a reason to develop alternate paths an increase the variety of game play. 

14 hours ago, everline said:

Not in your list but I'd like to see a quick shot of what are my current pearl upgrades and when they'll end.. kinda like the upgrade screen we have for worker based upgrades (there's been other posts on this going in more details), instead of having to click on each building/troops/spells to see if they're done and when there'll be done.. That would be on my top 5 requests.

Oh, this is such an amazing idea!  I want this in the next update!  I want this right now!

For the record, I never said the idea of lane-hopping gargoyles is bad (because it isn't, it's logical to think that if gargoyles fly they can fly over stuff rather than take the long way), I just wanted to add some possible rules to it in case somebody complains that it's too much of a shortcut in certain layouts. More variety in layouts would be also appreciated btw. :)

And hell yeah to a forge progress timer window!

Edited by JiggleFizziks

2 hours ago, JiggleFizziks said:

I just wanted to add some possible rules to it in case somebody complains that it's too much of a shortcut in certain layouts.

I think certain layouts deserve to be short-cutted as a method of balancing them, making other layouts more of a viable defensive strategy.  Though I understand your worry about what other people will think.  But f#ck what other people think!

22 hours ago, everline said:

Not in your list but I'd like to see a quick shot of what are my current pearl upgrades and when they'll end.. kinda like the upgrade screen we have for worker based upgrades (there's been other posts on this going in more details), instead of having to click on each building/troops/spells to see if they're done and when there'll be done

This has been suggested before, but not sure by who. Olympus Rising had this added into the game as soon as they added the forge feature. This should've been in RR2 a long time ago

22 hours ago, everline said:

I'd like to see canons able to shoot beasts as well.

I suggested this a while back, but they (flaregames) didn't say anything about this one

16 hours ago, AwesomestKnightest said:

This has been suggested before, but not sure by who. Olympus Rising had this added into the game as soon as they added the forge feature. This should've been in RR2 a long time ago

I suggested this a while back, but they (flaregames) didn't say anything about this one

I don't really mind if they makes canons only shoot at buildings or shoot at everything!  They just have to pick one or the other!  Not this random sh!t!

Edited by Maerique

Oh, something I keep forgetting to post about!

4 Difficult Interface

4.C Inventory Management

Problem:
Surprisingly Often I go into battle with the wrong suit of armor and wrong pal!

Solution:
Just put the little picture of your King and his Pal on the side of the attack screen. 

Edited by Maerique

One more, more thing...

4 Difficult Interface

4.D Alliance Wars Player List

Problem:
A while ago, if I looked at a War on any particular hex, I could see a list of every player in my Alliance, and I could see how many skull s/he has brought in.  And next to their name (since I was a general) I had the option to Champion them at least by looking at that option I could see if the player was able to raid in the War!  But now Flare has made the cool down so long, and even for players who are unable to participate for two and a half days, I can make them champion right now!  That's just a stupid reckless error, I should never be able to make someone a champion if they can't even Raid in the War!

Solution:
First off, obviously, disable the Champion button if a player is not allowed to Raid in an particular War.  But next, if a player can't raid I want a big visual queue like gray out the whole line.  I should be able to see which ones can and can't raid quickly, cause I'm going to kick the ones who can raid, but aren't raiding, and I don't want to kick the wrong ones!