A New Unit with the Ability to Convert Enemy Units?

I wanted to recommend a new unit with no attack, but the ability to convert enemy units: I’d recommend modelling its action after Age of Empire’s priest. But I’d make the look similar to the Froster. It would probably be a great unit to use in combination with frosters so you could slow enemy units and have more time to convert them before they reached and killed the converters. 

It’s already been discussed, and I think we all agreed that it’d be too OP to be anything other than a scroll.

That being said, if there was a unit that could convert the enemy, it would have to have a slow attack rate so as to not always gain more morale-worth than what it took to summon it. So then it would mostly just be a counter against monsters in defensive situations.

That being said, in offensive situations, the attack would just summon an army of converters behind a monsters, and convert the enemies as they went along, with no real resistance from enemy units, skewing it’s use FARRRR towards the benefit of an attacker, giving an attacker way too much bang for their buck.

Overall, I don’t think there’s a way to balance it so that it could be a unit. It would have to be a scroll.

That being said, a Parasite unit might be feasible. A Parasite unit would only be able to convert 1 unit each, and would cost 4 morale. That way, in often dying, and in only being able to convert one unit even if they do live, they would be relatively balance and would have a small niche.

For example, let’s say that a defender only uses waves of 2 Arblasters each, and Parasite have a mortality rate of 50%. 8 morale for the two Parasites. 1 Parasite converts 1 Arblaster. The two Arblasters then kill each other. 8 Morale for 8 Morale.

That being said, in many different situations, such as if you already have an army to use as a shield, you can both keep both Parasites alive and also kill enemy units before they can kill your converted units.

I knew you got idea from AoE’s priest. 

I didn’t know this was already discussed, and I concur when you say it would be too OP.

I like the parasite idea, sounds very balanced, but I guess it would be hard for the developers to make such unit…

The converter could be a new monster with the same morale points as the mummy.

It could look like Dracula and mezmerize enemy units. It would not be able to attack units, obstacle, or towers.

The Converter can only mezmerize a certain number of units based on morale.

Level 1: Mezmerize 4 morale /4 knights or 1 arblaster

Level 2: Mezmerize 8 morale /8knights or 2 arblasters

Level 3: Mezmerize 12 morale /12 knights or 3 arblasters

After locking on to an enemy unit it will mezmerize after a 1/2 second per morale point of the unit and only 1 at a time, ie;  a half second for knights and 2 seconds for arblasters.

It will only stop for barricades/blockades and to mezmerize and enemy unit.

There would also be a 5 second delay between mezmerizing enemy units.

If a unit already mezmerized dies it will be 5 seconds till the converter is able to mezmerize a new unit.

The converter would really shine against a doom gate. When a converter with full morale for converting enemy units reach’s the gate it will mezmerize doom gate.

After the effect has taken place on the doom gate all bombs will go to the Left, Right, Close or Far randomly.

With enough ways to balance the converter I don’t think it will be too strong.

The original poster didn’t get specific so I just filled in the blanks.

Sentinel, you’re wrong.  The beauty of the unit is it would actually be a counter to a path type. On the offensive, it would be a counter to a path with adjacent lanes because it could convert units in the next lane which could be far ahead of the current army’s position.   And a way to reduce the effectiveness of a converter would be not allowing adjacent lanes so that a converter could never get a convert ahead of your army’s current position.  This would be interesting since virtually all strong defenses use the adjacent lane design.  So it would actually add more variation to the game.

Another interesting solution to balancing the morale may be to make it bleed off morale as it converted units, probably not in a 1 to 1 fashion.  Maybe 50% off of the original morale cost.  But that way the users have to leave it a few morale points open even to allow it to function properly. 

The problem I’m seeing with this “morale for morale” idea, is that you’re basically just killing the unit. If you’re having to spend as much to get an Arblaster as you would to get an Arblaster, then you’re not really gaining anything, and the Converter is practically just killing the enemy unit + allowing your unit to spawn nearby. You could accomplish the same thing by having a monster that kills and leaves occasional 1-unit Portals as he runs.

No, because you’re gaining a unit far ahead of where you could normally spawn a unit.  The Mummy is the only unit that spawns where the King is.  This unit could convert far past that if it converted in the next lane.  So it adds a new dynamic to the game and creates a new danger to the building of adjacent lanes.  It even creates new strategies when you plan out how you can use their units to break their defenses. Plus again, I think you should be able to save some morale.  So maybe you’d have to pay 1.5 morale units to get a Palidin.

This seems like a great idea. I am not sure how to add it to my list: http://forums.flaregames.com/topic/3517-a-huge-list-of-improvements-submitted-to-flaregames/(I need clarification and a more summary type explanation.)

This would be my simple explanation. 

This would be my brief summary explanation:

New Unit, call it Priest, similar in look to the Froster or Pyromancer,  similar in combat to the AoE priest, it converts at range, and for balancing purposes converting probably uses half the morale it would take to spawn a unit, but its strength is in converting across lanes thus allowing the attacking player to gain control of units even beyond the furthest point the army has advanced, this introduced a new element into the game, a new danger to creating adjacent lanes in defensive paths.

Here is what I put on the list. Thank you and great idea!

• FEATURES: Unit - call it Priest, similar in look to the Froster or Pyromancer,  similar in combat to the AoE priest, it converts at range, and for balancing purposes converting probably uses half the morale it would take to spawn a unit, but its strength is in converting across lanes thus allowing the attacking player to gain control of units even beyond the furthest point the army has advanced, this introduced a new element into the game, a new danger to creating adjacent lanes in defensive paths. [user: Maerique]

Thanks!  I like to see the idea getting shared!  It would be a fun unit to play!