Hey guys, I wanted to take a moment to mention my thoughts on the current Alliance War system. I will start with all of the elements that I think you guys have done a great job on first and then move on to a few finer points. Jona (or someone at Flare) please pass these comments along to be considered:
- As the leader of my Alliance, I love that the Alliance Wars is helping to build comradery among my team. I am seeing most of my players getting excited, more involved, and even helping contribute with our war strategy. Before, my Alliance was well ranked, but the environment had become stale and boring. It seemed like many members were only logging in every day to donate, but this has helped change that.
- I like that I get a better idea of who my dedicated members are and who my more inactive members are. Thus far, we have had a small group of individuals who have logged in during the war period, but have not contributed any skulls. Being able to see who is not contributing and which member’s bases are most vulnerable has helped us revamp our Alliance rules, hold members more accountable, and give more constructive feedback on base designs.
- I think that overall, the concept of Alliance Wars is setup well:
- I like that a player’s skull count only counts towards your total once.
- I like that winning requires more players to be active and contributing to the war effort.
- I don’t mind that players can use scrolls to defeat bases (just like a real battle). If they are willing to spend an excessive amount of gems using scrolls to beat a base, more power to them. (I’m sure Flare Games isn’t complaining either \_)
- I like that the “battles” last 24 hours.
- I like the balance between players leaving and coming into an alliance mid-season.
However, with all of that positive feedback, I do have a few small concerns:
- I feel that the War Season is too long. 5 consecutive days of constant battles, monitoring your progress, motivating members, etc is going to become tiring very quickly. For myself, between my job and the amount of time invested into Alliance Wars, I am already exhausted (and we have 3 more days to go). I would be pleased to see to the War Season reduced to 3 days. That gives enough time to keep it exciting, but not so much that it is going to wear players out. Honestly, we are only two days into Alliance Wars, and it is blatantly obvious to my entire “cluster” of Alliances which two teams the war will come down to, yet we have to go through the motions for the next 3 days. I can’t speak for other Alliances on this matter, rather I am simply speaking for my situation.
- I am also concerned about the length of time between War Seasons. As Fii mentioned, most people (myself included) are going to want to relax a little after 5 long days of War. Fii suggested a 3 day “relief” period, but I think that it needs to be more than that. Between the long War Seasons and the frequency of War Seasons, I’m afraid that you guys may be pushing Alliance Wars a little too hard and it could begin to lose it’s appeal and excitement for players. Right now, it’s exciting and fun because it is new, but what happens when players start to feel that it is more of a hassle than they care for? I would be excited if we had a 3 day War Season that ran Friday-Sunday, as most people have the most free time on the weekend days. The other 4 days of the week could serve as the rest period. This would give the event a little more consistency, as all Alliances would know that War Seasons occur on the weekend days and they could prepare for it accordingly. Additionally, I believe that having shorter war periods separated by longer rest periods would keep the interest and excitement alive much more than the current schedule. I definitely feel that this is an issue that is worth you guys conducting a poll or player survey on.
- I understand that the purpose of Alliance Wars is to get more members active and involved. However, the 2% Skull Bonus needs to be addressed. Either it simply needs to be removed altogether, or it should be increased a little because 2% is far too insignificant to really make a difference.
Sorry for the incredibly long post, but I just wanted to share my thoughts, feedback, and suggestions in order to help improve the game.