Classification System and Posting Guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Hey everyone!

I guess the more curious ones amongst you were able to notice the slow transmogrification of this sub-forum. Namely, the appearance of the red prefix tags, seemingly chaotic, but actually adhering to a system of a sort. Well, as it usually is for quite some time, I am the one responsible for this abnormality.

Over the past few months, I have been working on the classification system that would simplify and improve the less-than-ideal process of information search offered by the forum engine. There is a number of goals this incentive attempts to achieve, with the more prominent ones being the reduction of double posting (which is my nemesis, so to say) and the ability to easily find ideas regarding a specific aspect of the game.

This little project of mine resulted in the 16 distinct categories, into which all of the threads in this subforum were subsequently placed. Each of the categories corresponds to its unique tag, enabling anyone searching for this tag to view all of the threads falling under it. You can find the list of the categories below, containing the relative description of information stored inside each of the categories:

Current list of Categories:

1. Alliance and Communication. This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding alliances in general (number of members, ranks, recruitment, etc.) and in-game communication (Global chat, personal messages, Alliance chat).

2. Alliance War.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding war, including everything from the mechanics to allied alliances to rewards, related to Wars.

3. Events and Quests.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding different in-game and forum events (contests such as “Hades challenge,” writing contest or events such as “Alliance Days”) and in-game quests (Such as “Marathon”).

4. Gear and Forging.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding gear (Item stats, item chest rewards, uniques, equipment slots) and the improvement (forging) of gear.

5. Heroes, Abilities, and Invocations.   This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding heroes (Stats, new hero proposals, unlocking requirements) and their abilities (Stats of abilities, the proposal of new abilities, the “premium” version of those (Invocations)).

6. Resources, Upgrades, and Construction.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding upgrades and construction (times, slots, costs) as well as the basic resource-related suggestions (regeneration rates, travel costs, etc.)

7. Trophies, Matchmaking, and Ranking.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding trophy system, matchmaking, and ranking (Which are currently a single system, falling under the “trophy” umbrella. Please note, this thread does not contain threads regarding War matchmaking. Those go in the War category).

? Miscellaneous.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions that cannot be classified into other categories. Usually, the threads here target specific game aspects which, nevertheless, have only one or two related threads, making the creation of a designated category detrimental. Examples include Odyssey-related threads and extra confirmation button requests. This category is temporal, and the goal is to completely get rid of it by the end of Summer (Something I may need your help with!).

1. Multithread.  This category is applied to the threads containing multiple suggestions, falling under different categories. Essentially, this is a designated category for the lists of suggestions of all sorts and kinds, since they cannot be definitively categorized into a single distinct category.

2. Account.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding accounts (multiple account usage, device linking, account names, etc.). This is a precursor category (You can find the explanation of what that actually is in the following sections), and it is currently the only iteration of a small (4-) number of threads getting a distinct category.

3. Forums.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding forum (New sub-forum proposal, forum organization, graphics) and official FG presence (Replying to threads, Community Management, etc.).

4. Information and Statistics.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding statistics (battle logs (defensive and offensive), map previews, player stats (alliance and regular)) and information (in-game ability descrip[tion, FAQ, wiki).

5. Technical.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding technical aspects of OR (Better service provider, OR release in China, OS X client, old device support, Battery life)

6. Aesthetics.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding models (Theatre size compared to the models of citizens, different weather and light conditions of the base screen, other minor and major graphical tweaks (including new decorations)).

7. Offensive & Defensive Mechanics.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding the actual battle process of offense (Inactivity timeout when the game is paused, phone calls compatibility, defensive/offensive mode icons, AI) and defense, which is the reversed offense (rewards for being undefeated and others).

8. Units, Towers, and Blessings.  This category is applied to the threads containing suggestions regarding Units (Stats, new unit proposals), Towers (new tower proposals, stats) and Blessings (Stats, units affected, means of achieving such blessings, etc.)

9. Intercategorical.  This category is applied to the threads containing singular suggestions that would, nevertheless, affect multiple game aspects (examples: Alliance Base, Diplomacy). This thread is designed to distinguish Multithreads from single threads that cannot be definitively categorized into a single category. The two are very different concepts that should not be mixed.

Tag system explained:

How does the system above apply to the forum threads? Through the prefix tags (red ones) you can now observe in front of every thread in the Suggestions sub-forum. Every tag can be broken into key parts, which are further explained below:

1. ORS. This is the project and subforum pointer, where OR stands for Olympus Rising and S for Suggestions and Improvement sub-forum. This is done to distinguish between sub-forums and projects in general since the current system utilizes a set of global tags. Essentially, it doesn’t care whether you are searching for a specific forum or subforum and would spit out all of the threads that contain a searchable tag. This issue is neutralized by using pointers such as this one.

2). Category Name (example: Alliance and Communication). This is the actual name of the category. I guess the purpose of this part is pretty self-explanatory.

1. 1.  This is the hierarchal pointer. It denotes the distinction between the Main category (1) and any sub-categories (2). Currently, there are no implemented sub-categories, but this is definitely something that can be added later (hence the preemptive introduction of such feature). In future, this will be used to attach multiple classification tags to Multithreads and Intercategorical threads or even indicate the “offtopic” discussions that have occurred in the thread.

How to use the system:

Should you need to filter for the specific game aspect, all you need to do is to search for that specific tag(s) or to click on the prefix tag beside the title of a thread. All of the prefixes can be found as regular tags in this thread, should you ever wonder how to enter one of those into the search box manually.

Posting guidelines:

As for the posting guidelines mentioned in the title, I would yet again ask you to do the following steps before posting seemingly new ideas on the forum:

1. Check whether this is indeed a new idea, or you are simply reiterating something that was already said. A great way to do so would be to search the category tag that you believe to be matching your idea and scrolling through the threads (Shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes of your time in any case). If someone has already posted your idea or something very similar in nature, go in that thread and bump it up with your proclamation of agreement or insight into a slightly different system. Do not merely double post.

2. Make sure your title reflects the content of your thread. This is also a very good way of ensuring others can find your idea.

3. Stay focused. It is great that you wish to appreciate how the trophy system was tweaked, but this sub-forum is not the place to do so unless this is used to set the scene for your suggestions.

4. You can use whichever tags you want. Nevertheless, an ideal way of using those would be to extract key concepts or words, even, from your post. This would be a great boon for people trying to use the built-in search engine to find stuff. Please, avoid setting any of your tags as a prefix, since this place is reserved for the category tags from now on.

Reflection on the current system and future plans:

I do not claim this system to be perfect. There are flaws in it, and this is generally because any classification is very subjective. Furthermore, most of us are not entirely on point with the contents of our threads (or posts), occasionally making it hard to assign a definitive classification. Also, this project was conducted entirely and solely by me, and there is only so much time I can allocate for it. Therefore, I had to rely on the help of machine learning to conduct classifications, which naturally comes with certain limitations and balancing of precision and sample size. This is the reason why “miscellaneous” category exists, as there are simply too few “cases” to teach the AI to classify those threads correctly.

With this in mind, I would much appreciate feedback on the system, as well as any proposals for its refinement. I am planning to extend this system to cover most of the OR forum, using Suggestions as for the test environment for the system. This is the reason why I have “precursor categories.” Precursors do not have enough threads in Suggestions to teach the AI how to classify them reliably, but there is an abundance of such in other sub-forums, enabling such classification given that I build a proper sample. This is also the reason for the broad mega categories, featuring concepts like Units and Towers alike over the specific singular ones (Again, there are so many overlaps the AI cannot distinguish one from the other).

The recent changes are only the beginning of a collection of improvements I have in mind. While my next steps would be nested within extending the wave of classification to the other subforums, some things I have in mind include: 

a) Creating a mega thread with summaries of every single idea presented in every single thread of the subforum

")

c) Working on the reinstallation of the previous system, where there were specific “folders” for every category on every sub-forum. This one may not be possible, as I yet to discover why those were removed first place.

d) Implementing some form of an indication whether the idea was implemented, taken into consideration or turned down (Big maybe, the feasibility of this goal is questionable, to say the least).

P.s.

Thanks for hacking through this wall of text. I am always open to suggestions and criticisms, feel free to pm those should you have any. I will edit this thread to reflect any changes and major updates to the system. Ideally, I want as many of you involved as possible since it is the community that makes OR forums useful (alongside our Cyclop overlord of course).

Infamous