"Newb Enablers" series
As a newb, I found OR’s Autoplay an interesting functionality. This contrasted with regular ARPGs wherein players get immersed in the game & enmeshed with the Hero character (often making amusing anthropomorphic claims such as “I died…!”, “I killed…!”).
Ergo, instead of the usual (involved, hero-like) “button-mashing” gameplay, I adopted a rather detached, Godlike (or “Godfather”-like, for all Marlon Brando/ Al Pacino fans out there) “build & let-it-perform” style. I build the Acropolis as best as possible & then “prove” the build in battles on auto-play with minimal human intervention. This, for me, is the best test of the build as well as the game itself. And, OR’s game engine performs almost flawlessly, … well almost!
- Often, the hero prematurely ejects Damocles immediately upon launching a battle well before encountering resistance (perhaps, he’s just testing the power before meeting his nemeses ?). God facepalms.
- More often than not, the hero shuttles between 2 towers unable to decide which one to attack (perhaps, he should toss a little Gold coin to make up his mind ?). Here, God facepalms again.
- Sometimes, while ramming the Gate, the hero forgets to cast fully charged spells (perhaps, he suffers concussions & memory blackouts because of the pounding received from the Statue ?). Then, the God intervenes.
- Would it be possible for the autoplaying hero to sense the most damaging tower or unit first & then attack it? In the same vein, can the hero avoid the most damaging tower or unit when his HP is precarious? Can the autoplay hero cast powers as per the weakness of the enemy units & towers? In case of 2 enemy waves coming close by, can the hero detect them by LOS & split the available/ charged powers between them? Can he sense the time running out, so bypass the Statue (leaving it to the troops) & start breaking down the Gate? Wishes, wishes, wishes…from a lazy God. ?
- Occasionally, the AI hatches a smaller unit before the larger unit got a chance to fully incubate (would sequencing of the units in Hero Setup help the AI to prioritize?). If it was a smaller unit needed, I would click it before the larger unit spawns, but for the other way around, a sensing mechanism is needed for the AI as per the situation of the hero. That’s AI with a capital “I”. ?
Anyway…, as formidable a challenge as it is, perfecting Autoplay would be a significant enabler for new players as they get to learn how best to battle it out when manual intervention is warranted (besides the obvious benefits of better multitasking & reaction timing of computers).
Bound to my PC (because I made the irrevocable mistake of downloading the Windows version as I was casually browsing for an MMORPG) and stuck to poking the screen with only a lone mouse pointer, the dexterity of 2 thumbs on a mobile screen is unavailable to me in playing OR. Autoplay, thus, was a savior that helped me continue with the game. Trekkies out there would know why I extol the virtues of AI by referring to the below video clip…
_ PS : IMHO, creating an AI program is almost mystical & godlike. I am awestruck with your existing Autoplay AI’s performance, and am just being plain greedy here praying for perfection. I hope you’ll forgive & grant_. ?