Refining Unique items: "The future?"

The Titan chests at the top don’t always have uniques. I think it’s just like a sea chest where there’s a higher % chance of having one. 

Captain Morgan is on record saying it was a mistake to make uniques as common as they became. So we might all have to just live with having way more uniques than were ever intended, and having to save up resources to refine them. Most are mediocre at best anyways. 

hello Archimides, sorry for not answering so long…

this layout idea just popped out when i was reading your proposal - something where you can experiment with refining in a more “safely” way. if you refine it a second time (e.g. gold) you get a second layout with the new perks on it so you can try them but in addition you can keep the old ones. maybe they even get upgraded too (and everyting “downwards” or with the right boosts). so you always have access to the original unique with the not-normalized base/perk. when upgrading with a 5* bronce the boost for the silver / gold layouts are then of course not granted (just like it seems to be right now… the perks dont go away but the values (on the same level) are not that strong - at least i assume why they reduce atm when you try to forge gold on the same lvl again with bronce). refining with gold of course gives you always the best boosts for every layout…

but it may also be not the best idea, of course and surely not thought to the end… i see your point concerning the choosen perks, but what if the meta changes (e.g. other abilities get boosted, maybe also nerfed) and you want to change…maybe it would also be cool to selcet if you want to change perks or keep old ones, but i have the sad feeling FG dont want to give us this kind of flexibility. imho you should always have access to perks you forged onto an unique item (because you have paid for them with tons of recources) and you should have the original, 2 silver and 3 gold layout for free - if you want more you can unlock with sacrifiing a double unique. maybe i would experiment more with such possibilities and like you noticed, you can better utilice (at lower costs) a unique for defence and attack.