I agree and think the war seasons indeed are more fair now. It’s indeed extreme that some teams face stronger opponents and are still overpowered. What alternatives flare has?
Sure… The system can still be abused, but like Edward said, as long as it is legal by the rules… Only the abusement has decreased a lot, dropping fiefdoms is no guarantee to win or lose. Sure it’s unfair that a team with 60 members faces teams with less members. but as said before, you must consider it in the picture as a whole. When we check the fiefdoms, 27 and 41 is a lot of difference. This proofs that the algorithm at least holds reckon with other facts.
Look it from another perspective, that team will win of course, next season they could be matched against teams with 50+ members and might still win. A season after it could be 60 member teams, so they fight teams that are of their category more fast. In a few seasons, this is good for most of the teams.
I don’t think whatever you come up with that there will be a situation that war seasons are perfect.
- Base it on fiefdoms => Drop fiefdoms to get weaker opponents
- Base it on alliance level => don’t upgrade your alliance before war, do it during war or not at all
- Base it on players trophies => Drop trophies during recess
- Base it on players average skulls scored during history seasons => Let players do less raids and give some players rest. Their average is way lower than it should be.
- Base it on total strength of members => Let some members leave the team before season and let them join when season started. wait with declaring war. There you go, your team is way stronger than the rest on the map.
- Base it on a mix => This is most fair situation and that’s what flare did try to introduce.
Whatever you come up with, there is no way you can prevent that teams manipulate war seasons, unless… you make the rules that strict that there is no fun any longer.
Let me explain our new war map. We have two teams and we have less fiefdoms than we should have. Before we were always clearly the strongest team on the map, now that might be still the case, but it’s not decided yet on day one. We see that we are on a more interesting map. Most teams have more fiefdoms, others even have more members, we have the strongest members, but still could be beaten if the team with more members has fierce members who all do their job. Even when they have paying players with high skull perks (hint, uber chests) they could give us a hard time.
Looking at the scoreboard we see interesting scores during fights. Some teams clearly are able to produce a lot of skulls and the wars are closer than we used to see. We even got raided on day one, how about that ?
Summarizing, it’s a good improvement.