What is wrong with Royal Revolt 2 and what Flare can do about it_By Mike the Lionman and HuggytheHuge_ Over the past year and a half we have seen our game develop and improve, however, for a large part not always for the better.
Therefore we have taken the time to highlight the current issues with the game and invite the community to add their ideas. Include your own experiences to make Royal Revolt 2 (RR2) worthwhile to play again.
We have categorized the changes we envisage into three categories: Major flaws (for which players are leaving the game), Minor flaws (that annoy/irritate players) and relatively simple improvements to make the game more fun to play. We have also provided some suggestions which would make the game more inclusive and practical. Major flaws
- The payment system: payment has evolved from gold and gems to include pearls and vouchers, however, the possibility to use the latter two has not changed. It should be up to players to select payment options to buy in-game items or transactions. Items should be offered in all currencies to allow players to purchase what they would like. In addition, this should also apply to buying bread with pearls and gold.
- Donating: Limiting the donation amount is geared to force players to buy gems to donate extra. With the number of elite boosts ever increasing, the system of donating needs to be seriously overhauled. Players should be able to donate extra with pearls and vouchers.
- Granny: The whole concept of granny is fundamentally flawed. We have spent thousands of gems on useless granny spins, always waiting for the luck of the draw. The result is that you either have to spend a huge amount of gems on useless spins, or just bide time in hope of the right items to pop-up. There is a simple solution, make a hero item store. Players should be able to buy items relative to their king level. In our opinion, remove the system of spinning for items and being offered useless items.
- Poor releases: Every update, we see the same thing happen. There are a sequence of further server updates to remedy bugs and issues, e.g. nerfing certain towers and troops. This impacts the upgrading strategy of players. It has been a recurrent theme with every release. We believe it is imperative to change the release strategy. We advise to build a testing community out of current key players and fix bugs in beta form before updates are released worldwide.
- Packages: The manipulation of algorithms to entice players to buy gems is blatantly visible in the way packages are offered. Packages are only offered when someone does not have enough gems to purchase a certain offer within the game. It is abundantly clear that once a certain level of play is reached there are no offers at all. Make all packages transparent, amend them to the level of play and offer packages based on a transparent principle, for example on XP or when reaching a new King level.
- Online alerts: A serious flaw is the dual function of the player is online message when being attacked. A player can also be raided at that moment. The dual function implies you have to assume someone is not online and start ping-ponging between attack and return to be able to attack. This is often in vain and a lot of time is wasted when a player is online. Why not have two messages: one for online and one for being raided. Why do we have to return to attack again instead of being put on hold in a queue and being told where you are next in line to attack? So a player can make their own decision to wait in turn or go on to another raid.
- Upgrading farms: bread is required to raid, however, why are farms not productive while being upgraded is beyond us. This forces you either to buy bread, play less, or accept lower level farms. In short, farms should be productive whilst upgrading. The same applies to taverns.
- War Maps: From the start of the introduction of alliance wars, the game has gone south. The maps were preselected, favoring a few top alliances to build up fiefdoms. Till this day they benefit from their top position, making it easier for them to win wars. Adding insult to injury, war boosts are stacked, like recently was done with healing arblasters being extra boosted in the next war.
- Transfer of items: RR2 has evolved from a single player game to an alliance war game. However, it is still not possible to help alliance members or friends by transferring obsolete hero items. We see this as a serious shortcoming. Helping others with second hand gear to boost their raiding capabilities will strengthen bonds and do fair justice to the real money with which items are often bought. It would make sense that second hand items are paid for in some form.
- Donate button: Having to check whether the cool down for donating has expired is a pain in the neck. It hampers timely donations. The remedy is simple: incorporate a notification alert to the donation system, like the alerts when an upgrade is completed. This way timely donations are facilitated instead of being hampered. Add a donate button in the main screen and have it turn from green to red when the cool down has expired.
- Release planning: the way Flare releases is often unannounced, unclear or is unwanted and unnecessary. The amount of time wasted on finding out what is new and what is not can easily be remedied with a clear release moment and pre-overview of all the changes. In this way players can plan their own upgrading strategies better and no longer run the risk of choosing an upgrade that is nerfed or useless after the upgrade.
- Fair winnings: Trophies, medals and gold should be balanced to allow fair distribution between higher and lower level heroes. Higher level players shouldn’t be robbed by 20% raids from low level players. Conversely, higher level players should be able to gain relevant trophies from victorious raids, and not be stuck on 3-5 trophies max.
- Page layout: some of the screens are poorly designed. Especially the scrolling of the world ranking. The arrows interfere at the top and bottom. The scrolling increment is 10-fold, but the screen only shows 6-8 players. So you always miss 2-4 players. We do not understand why the scrolling is not relative and responsive to the device you play on.
- Selling items: at present hero items can only be discarded by selling them back to the game for a ridiculously low price in gold (around 10%). We suggest that proper value, like 1/3 of the price, is paid for items being discarded in a currency of own choosing.
- Female avatars: Many women play the game. Besides a king as an avatar, we suggest the possibility to choose a queen as avatar.
- Different avatars: in line with a female avatar, we suggest the possibility to change the appearance of the hero to cater for all the different cultures enjoying the game. A game played worldwide could easily benefit from becoming more inclusive to a very diverse fan player base.
- Number of friends: for leaders and generals we suggest a larger number of friends. The present number is a serious limitation to free communication between alliances.
- Incentives: more active players should be able to benefit more from playing more. Besides being able to win leagues to gain gems, we suggest additional incentives based on reaching new levels of XP. Incentives could be in some form of payment or in finishing upgrades.