FlareGames
SHaase

Intermittent RR2 freezes on Win 10 - Fall Creator's Update

After my Win 10 laptop was upgraded to the Fall Creator's update about a month ago, I started experiencing intermittent freezes with RR2.  I've not seen this behavior with any other apps on my machine.  There is no pattern to where it will occur while playing RR2.  Sometimes is happens during a raid, some times when I'm just mucking around in my castle or doing something with inventory.  When it happens, there's always a small initial stutter where it's freeze for a very short (~0.1 sec?) time and then this will be followed by another freeze that can last several seconds.  

I originally thought this might be an issue with my laptop but I no longer think this is the case.   I got a brand new laptop on Monday (which did NOT have the Fall Creator's update) and I was able to play RR2 with no freezes until yesterday  after I installed the Fall Creator's update.  Since then I'm seeing the freezes when about the same frequency as I did on my previous laptop.

I have the same issue right after the fall creator update ;) I'm happy you post this so i'm not the only one that experience this. I tried to find all over the web about this but some have it but nothing regarding the windows store games. I think it's windows fault. I even created a post on windows forum but they suggested me useless procedures (like reinstalling all over windows - which i did and didn't solve the problem)

Please check the Event Viewer in your pc and see if the event name is: WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock

so i can be sure you have the same issue as mine.

The same issue here. There are also the same events in the Windows event log: WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock. And yes, it started with the Fall Creators update. The freeze that you experience is that Windows freezes the application while creating a crash dump for uploading. Once the crash dump is created, the game continues normally. For me, it happens every time I run the game exactly one time, and some minutes after starting the game.

If you read the event log entry, and check the generated dumps, the problem happens in Windows' Geolocation.dll, in the call Windows::Devices::Geolocation::GetGeopositionOperationImpl::InitializeAndStart. And it is very understandable that Windows is blocking that operation, because nowhere (not in the store, not in the security setting) the RR2 game specifies that it want to use my position, nor that the user gave any consent to this. May I ask why RR2 is trying to acquire my location? Please stop doing this, or properly request the user's permission so that Windows won't block the app.

Yep, I can confirm the WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock event log entries relating to Geolocation.dll as well.  

Fault bucket 127983441306, type 5
Event Name: WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 2
P2: Unknown
P3: Geolocation.dll
P4: GetGeopositionOperationImpl
P5: 420000
P6: Windows::Devices::Geolocation::GetGeopositionOperationImpl::InitializeAndStart
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

I can confirm the same freezing and windows event.

Fault bucket 127983441306, type 5
Event Name: WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: 2
P2: Unknown
P3: Geolocation.dll
P4: GetGeopositionOperationImpl
P5: 420000
P6: Windows::Devices::Geolocation::GetGeopositionOperationImpl::InitializeAndStart
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

I also have same and only in RR2. Same problem in eventviewer is present. Remove asking the geolocation without permission. Tis is causing a freeze. Implement it in a correct way (test it with newest Windows version and fix the problem!)

It's really annoying, freezing near the gate cost me almost a 100% score. It's abnormal, for 5-10 seconds a freeze during minidump due to this blunder.

Thought I was alone in this issue. Decided after a week or 2 of these 3 second freezes, I would post about it.

I had hoped that reinstalling RR2 would have fixed it, but that didn't help.
I had upgraded my graphic drivers just in case that was it, but still same issue.
I did a windows update just in case it was some issue with Windows that MS fixed with a recent update, but issue still remained.

It also happens in other Windows App games I play as well, so it doesn't seem to be only RR2.

I also do see these Windows Events that was previously posted. Whether they are the cause of the freeze, I'm not sure. I will have to monitor when the game freezes and the time the windows event occurs.

My Specs:
Windows 10 Pro version 1709 OS build: 16299.19
ASUS N56J laptop
RAM: 8GB
Intel Core i7-4500HQ 2.4GHz
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (integrated); NVIDIA GeForce 840M;

@Archimedes , @FTB Can developers at least test this on the newest Window version? Please check messages above. In eventviewer a deadlock cause by some geolocation functionality that seems to be called. Game freezes for about 10-15 seconds and then continues. In eventviewer there is an informational message at that moment.

The freeze is caused by Windows writing a minidump after a call that seems no longer legit. It should be easy to produce, not only during raids it happens, but even during waiting for example for the cool down to pass during ninja events. So just keep the game alive, play for a while and within 30 minutes that freeze should have occurred. 

There is something in your code executed that's not accepted in this newest Windows release. Please solve this, it's really annoying that the game freezes at random moments. It happened to me while destroying towers near the gate during ninja event, I used firestorm for left side and was running to the right to hit those towers. But just at that moment the freeze occurred. It's hard to run again as soon as the game continues. It could cost players a raid.

So please solve this.

It's getting hard to raid. I switched over to a latest updated, win 10 device, since the win 8.1 had some connection issues. I got freezes 2x and the 3rd time the app automatically shut, raided again, and just froze mid-way, raided right now, got 3-4 freezes till it crashed. :/ Got a couple of freezes on ninja islands, had no choice but to continue, luckily didn't crash.

The same information as Esit should be in your eventviewer (Run -> Eventvwr).

I got also a lot of freezes KKStar, they all happened after upgrading my Windows to latest version. But it's not Windows who is to blame, it's the sneaky call to get our geo position from inside the code. That's no longer allowed by Windows and that's why an error occurs and Windows creates a minidump. During such a dump, the main thread freezes.

So can we expect a fix (don't ask for our geolocation!)  soon? It's very annoying that the game freezes at unexpected times. No other application suffers this freeze, so it's not Windows, but RR2 related.

and it's quite fast to reproduce. Most times within 5-10 minutes the problem occurs. It's indeed since the latest Windows release. I installed that last Thursday, and ever since that upgrade, freezes occur. In eventviewer at exact moment the information in previous posts.

When using Visual studio, on a freeze you can hit pause and go to the threading Window. You should be able to see the locations inside code. I bet one of them is trying to gather geo information (gps or geolocational info). Like I said, in previous versions this was permitted, but now it's no longer allowed. This call leads to the freeze. Maybe hard to locate, but I am sure you will be able to trace it.  

2 hours ago, oPelle said:

In a future update <_< this means i have to live with the freeze for months until it doesn't come out... damn!

Maybe it's the sort of thing that can be done with a server maintenance?

Edited by ARREBIMBA

On 12/6/2017 at 3:58 AM, oPelle said:

In a future update <_< this means i have to live with the freeze for months until it doesn't come out... damn!

At least they acknowledged the issue and have said they'd fix it.  I'm still waiting for them to do that for one of the issues I brought up ~1.5 years ago that showed up with the Win10 Anniversary update:

On 11/24/2017 at 10:28 AM, oPelle said:

I have the same issue right after the fall creator update ;) I'm happy you post this so i'm not the only one that experience this. I tried to find all over the web about this but some have it but nothing regarding the windows store games. I think it's windows fault. I even created a post on windows forum but they suggested me useless procedures (like reinstalling all over windows - which i did and didn't solve the problem)

Please check the Event Viewer in your pc and see if the event name is: WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock

so i can be sure you have the same issue as mine.

Smart me, i updated my Windows 10 and now i am experiencing the same issue :/

On 12/6/2017 at 6:54 AM, ARREBIMBA said:

I play on a Win10 pc with version 1703 (Creators Update, which was realeased in April 2017) and I don't have these regular freezes.

So this is definitely an issue related to the latest Win10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).

Not really i have the 1709 and I don't have this problem. Probably not related to this build but maybe about what happen few days ago if some of you didn't know about and don't have read about it can be the case

Microsoft have announced January 5th there is a emergency big bug with Intel and AMD processor and others stuffs who can slow down your PC without you notice it but your PC can be slow. So I guess that happen here maybe : https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16846784/microsoft-processor-bug-windows-10-fix

You must go in Windows Update and do all the cumulative update fix.

I have do my upgrade in Update. Maybe the reason of why i don't have encounter this problem. Make sure you have update the Feature update and all cumulative update like this :

5a56e0ecd10c3_Webp.net-resizeimage(2).jpg.c2c7876df94f0176b534e5201b76311d.jpg

If same after this you still have the problem you can also check other stuffs :

Be sure to have All Microsoft Visual C++ installed both version 32 bits and 64 bits. Many PC player didn't know this kind of driver are necessary for PC games same if its just Windows Store game.

You can also check if you have Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0

What that do? I don't remember precise what that do but if I remember what I have read on internet like 12 years ago this kind of driver if we can call them like that allow PC games to load graphic without give you any error or problem. Those program are necessary if you want to play at 100% smooth without any crash or problem. That allow to run games properly. So if you don't have it go download them on google

5a56e25fd38eb_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).jpg.950b352aa76783f33c78ee0ad49f6dde.jpg

If after option 1 and 2 you still encounter this bug try option 3

If you have AMD GPU check if you have AMD Adrenaline 17.12.2 and don't have old version like AMD Crimson Live between 17.4 to 17.11. Some PC player never update their driver and don't think to check on AMD or NVIDIA website and update each time

if all of this don't work I have no clue how to fix this

Edited by Warriornator