Jack

Dawn of Steel Balance Feedback

Hello Captains,

since the launch of Dawn of Steel, we have received a lot of great feedback regarding the balance in the game.

We are very thankful for your feedback and want to hear your voices as clearly as possible.

This thread collects and bundles all balancing issues:

• Base & Research 

Resource Balance between Level 9 and 10

Please post your feedback on the balance in the game.

Some questions to get your brains going:

• What is too hard?
  • What is too difficult?
  • What is too boring?
  • What is too exciting?
  • What takes too much time?
  • What takes too little time?
  • What is too strong?
  • What is too weak?

The same resource cost imbalance happens at level 11 and 12 too. I had to jump to level 12 earlier than I wanted too and actually felt quite weak because of it. I lost a lot of battles at level 12.

Please scale down rescource costs for upgrades slightly or upscale resource productions slightly.

I think that would make the casual players feel more inclined to grind more in the early to mid levels and catch the itch to buy influence to try and speed through the said grinding fest in order to get to those higher levels so either way helps push a little more IAPs and helps the casual or new players not feel so stagnent or frustrated by losing resources over night well they just almost got enough to upgrade to the next level etc

I think the black market wait time should be decreased a little. Instead of waiting 3 hours for it to refresh drop the wait time to 1h -1 1/2 hs and instead of having 3 items to choose from make it 4 or 5 options. Also make it to where the black market will load up items only compatible with you current rank or lower

Hey there.

When u go higher rank costs are big and ressurses r low.

Some changes must come. For the income. Now I'm rank 12 and cost r so big and u need to farm other bases or players but to make it bigger u need to upgrade rigs but u can't because u r low on ress's so numbers on income should be higher. On all of that repair time on rigs r so loooong and it's boring if u fail attack and need to wait 10min on the other etc and money goes down on repairs.

And to have only 3 rigs and if u want more u need to buy storage space with influence points so pay them with real money or farm them. So underline if u have money to spare u win if not we'll u r f... Those spaces for rigs should be bought with currencies ingame(credits or plasma).

And not to sell rigs is so bad stuff, if u buy a wrong one u r stuck with it. And that's no fun at all.

Bottom line, costs should be a little lower and resources income should be a little bigger on higher rank and upgrades. Because at this speed game starts to be rlyyyyy boring and annoying, wait repair times, big costs etc... I hope I u understands me, and ye set for my low English. :)

Repair time and cost need to be lowered. I now have several level 7 Rigs and they take 12 minutes to repair regardless of damage. The amount of time it takes to repair should be based on how much damage the Rig has. If I have a Rig at 95% HP it shouldn't take the same amount of time to repair as a fully damaged Rig.

At first I didn't mind so much because the repair time was so low. But it seems like it's increasing at 2 per level as I recall when they were level 6 it took 10 minutes and my first level 8 Rig now takes 14 Minutes. This increasing wait time is making the game feel boring as I have to wait a long time between attacks even when I pull off a good attack with all my Rigs still at above 50% HP.

The Repair cost are an issue because of the low resource amounts. Since Command Level 10 it doesn't seem like resource income has increased much. Level 7 Rigs cost 300 Plasma for a full repair, which means 900 Plasma to repair from a total Wipe. You get 70x4=280 Plasma per hour from Base, that means it will take over 3 hours if you don't have Plasma to get back in the fight. Meanwhile most bases I attack have between 800-1500 Plasma in them. Which means one success only off sets maybe 1 total wipe depending on how much repair cost were in that success.

I find myself barely making progress in resource gathering at later levels because of this, and I'm not even factoring in the losses from other players raiding you. In most other similar style games you easily make several times the cost of your army in a raid so you can afford a few failures in a row. It's only at late end game where you have to pick your targets carefully because armies are expensive and you need to hit high resource targets. But here if you mess up you could easily end up broke and waiting for natural resource generation to make repairs which is NOT fun, especially at such an early point in the game, after all there are 38 Command levels and 20 Rig levels according to research which means it's just starting to hit mid game.

Even with increased resource generation though the other problem is resource storage is way too low. Often times the next upgrade requires 80-90% of your storage max. Which often leads to a case where you have enough of one resource but not enough of the other so you are losing resources of one type because you can't store anymore while trying to get the rest of the resources of the other type. This also means you can't keep many spare resources on hand to repair from a few back to back failures as after you purchase that upgrade your not bankrupt again, and trying to make sure you have some extra after the upgrade is difficult since you are already near resource cap and likely to loss extra resources from a raid.

Artillery is too slow and can't hit a single rig. It really needs to fire faster for it to not be a liability. Give me a missile launcher any day.

Repair time is too slow.

I'd be fine with repair costs if the repairs were faster.

What about spending credits to speed up a repair?

Influence costs are too high for anything I'm going to use it on.

Levels are totally uneven. Level 9 has only a few things to upgrade while level 10 has dozens.

Having two entrances to your base is a huge disadvantage. It is far easier to defend one larger entrance with some wedge guns.

Hanger space should be easier to get. I used influence to buy a fourth hanger but I don't want to have to buy two (or five) more at the price.

I know that the level up format means that a level 14 usually fights another 14, but it nullifies the advances you make. I like the idea of clearing out territory, but it would be nice to stomp through some lower bases occasionally. Maybe the lower base doesn't even have to know about it. Don't penalize them, rather reward them if their base takes down a higher rig. Then everyone's happy.

That's why you have 3 artillery and the robotics lab. Heaps of kills from that alone. One gun doesn't cut it you need more to have a squad dance all over the place avoiding constant bombardment.

That's why you have 3 artillery and the robotics lab. Heaps of kills from that alone. One gun doesn't cut it you need more to have a squad dance all over the place avoiding constant bombardment.

That's not possible for me at the moment. I also didn't have any trouble against 4 artillery in the invitational. I cleaned house with minimal damage.

That's not possible for me at the moment. I also didn't have any trouble against 4 artillery in the invitational. I cleaned house with minimal damage.

Artillery is more about area denial than it is doing damage. If the enemy has to move away from your base then they take longer to destroy your base or if they moved into the line of fire from other guns they are more likely to die , either way it increases your chances of victory. When I first added the artillery Canon to my base I constantly got the influence rewards for hitting two rigs at once.

Hanger space should be easier to get. I used influence to buy a fourth hanger but I don't want to have to buy two (or five) more at the price.

Well then you won't be happy to hear that the price per hanger increases with each one you have. I have 7 now and price for the next one is something like 1700 influence as I recall. The problem is not the price of the hangers but rather a lack of other resources. I have 3 lvl 8 rigs, 3 level 7, and 1 level 4 I just got. The biggest problem is I don't get enough victory points to unlock all the tech for them and even if I did I don't got plasma/cash to buy the equipment.

Few tips on influence farming. If you start an op an attack will come shortly after which you get 5 influence for defeating. Also if you destroy credit hangers in the first 45 seconds of battle before the planes leave you get 5 per building. You get 2 for destroying a base 100%. There are several base defense achievements which earn you influence as well. Also there is and op which gives bonus to earnings. It's great to use if you scout a base that has 5 easy to reach credit hangers.

Also I don't waste influence on items since they will be out dated soon enough. I've only used it to buy hangers.

Theres lots of tricks to this game to enable you to advance rapidly but to put them here would take away from the fun of playing this game and experimenting and learning those tricks. Sure the game still has bugs in it but they will be removed in time. This game is not solely about any one technique but is a combination of them all and is what makes this game unique.

From a balance perspective I think the sniper rifles need some love.

Wait times on repairing your rig are annoying. Those could be trimmed up some.

The black market cool down is frustrating when you don't land behind enemy lines and it's the same 3 items you didn't want last time. Would a black market that sells 3-4 items at all times and has an item refresh be on the table?

I would like to see more npc bases with higher resource grabs, before you get a descent shield rig most don't cover the repair cost of your rigs.

MG damage feels like it is taking off a little faster than rig armor per level. I don't think artillery has enough sting for how slow it fires, I try not to let them rain on me non stop but I can shield through a few hits if I'm in a bad spot and not really be shut down. So I get the area denial aspect, but I'm not really being denied by the artillery. They do a great job of farming influence though.

I don't like to see same equipment over and over again in the black market. Apparently there is not enough of them so same things keep showing up all the time. So some more equipment please.

Besides, I would love to see some equipment with very crazy properties. Something that boosts one thing and nerfs another like cursed equipment in some games, maybe set items where the combination of them gives another ability. And also in the info page an intriguing background with some creative writing of those items would be good.

Some questions to get your brains going:

What is too hard? The changes made hobbling rigs combined with the defensive buffs. I love all of the defensive additions. Would have been nice to know what the changes were prior so we could be informed. The game is even more unbalanced now on the defense side of the scale.

What is too difficult? To believe that superweapon thought they were doing this all for the player. Your goal to increase revenue has ostracized your core players. I get needing more funds but you guys have screwed us royally.

What is too boring? Waiting for repairs to begin because I do not have enough plasma to start them.

What is too exciting? Lol, seriously having near heart attacks when it goes all to hell in your hand basket.

What takes too much time? Repairs!! REPAIRS!!! R E P A I R S!!!!!!! Repairs need to be based on damage to the rig. If I got scratched I shouldn't have to wait 23 minutes. That has always been my biggest grief.

What takes too little time? Nope, I ain't saying anything here.

What is too strong? I ain't saying anything here. You will nerf it into near unplayability.

What is too weak? I ain't saying anything here. You will buff it into near unplayability.

I loved the game you guys made so much that it is painful to see what you guys have done to it. It was the only fun game that was challenging and near equality for pay to play players compared to grinders like me. I am in between jobs and have little to no funds available. I have always been competetive and definitely will admit the game was rig sided. Keep the defenses the same but put rigs back. I think you will find that everyone would be happy. But then again, you guys are needing to increase in game purchases so I don't see that happening.

It is quite evident that this is what the goal is. To push purchases.

Like I have said, I am on the verge of leaving. I have given it a fair chance, I will be adapting my play style to see if I can get better but the time and effort I put into the game, and then have the rules changed is very disheartening.

Just FYI, as I am sure the numbers will show you.

Well put, Cure.  The update doesn't scale out well at all.  You can sustain game play and no one is going to invest in the game when they can't play it more actively.  Like I said in my other post, I dropped $49.99 twice to buy the additional Drone and Dash Rigs.  I have tried different combinations, I have tried different setups, and I have tried different strategies.  It all turns out the same, you can wait lowbies to hit your map and hope you win, but even when you do, you don't win enough resources to repair, you have to wait to gather them over time, and the fun factor is gone.  I tried these using test defense option among players in my alliance. 

What is really disconcerting, the usually active players are pretty much gone and I wonder if we will see them back.  Its too bad, I really enjoyed the game.  

increasing bases defences is good, but at the same time nerfing rigs so much , makes it a bloodbath every battle. 4 rigs for 1 battle, no win and not enough plasma to repair.

U guys already introduced the new rail tower to take care of shielded rigs and buff up defenses, it has already balanced the game. But, at the same time, u guys nerfed shield rigs abiltity... It unbalances the game again.

Simple thought to balancing anything-

How do u balance? U change 1 aspect at a time, never on both side.

How do u balance a manual weight balancing scale? Both side together or 1 side at a time?

In math equations too, find 1 unknown at a time.

Players now are afraid of attacking becoz of losing ratings. U lose 2-3 times more than u earn.

Its exciting to fight up the leaderboards, but if u lose more than u earn , then its not balance.

Update:

I changed my base, I changed my play style, I don't use shield rigs at all anymore. Just to try and maintain my rating and be competitive.

It is not fun waiting hours just to play the game because a lack of plasma. I have zero active operations so I engage just one and that used to not get attacked. But now, I get attacked. I have no plasma to repair, so I cannot defend so I lose the fight, lose the creds to start the operation and still cannot repair. At High levels you broke the game with this update.

CR22 still come in and thump me and lose 18-26 rating, I retaliate and if I win I get 5-12 rating back, to which they retaliate and take away 20+ away, rinse and repeat. The only way to stay ahead is to attempt to farm people 2 levels below you. But attacking is a risk that many do not take. And due to that most players do not attack my base anymore. So no defense rating increase. What a cluster.

I do like the chat bar, that is an improvement but spell check/ translation would be nice.

Like I said before, defensive enhancement is good. I like it, others like it blah blah blah.

Like Recce says above, you cut the fun out of the game. Notice a drop from the former regulars? Maybe you don't with the influx of new players. Let me tell you it is bad. Do an activity report for 30+ day players compared to pre update player activity. It should tell you guys people do not approve.

I am frustrated. I said I would give it a try and a chance but I am not having fun. I LOVED this game. You guys were not happy with gameplay, fair enough, but you guys jacked it up too much for 20+.

I get you need to make money, I accept that too. But what you did to your formally loyal player base is really flabbergasting. I feel like we were just in a beta test and didn't get any recognition for our efforts. I feel robbed of the time and effort I put into the game. I keep twitching to post feedback in the App Store but I am trying to refrain from it as it will be mostly negative.

I have not seen any recognition of the players concern nor any acknowledgement of issues nor plans to make tweaks or changes in future patches or updates.

Just a piece of my mind to share with you and the masses.

Please look into more/ new Nyssa gear. Would be nice to see a variety instead of the same gear that nearly everyone looks for.

Also, most have stopped caring about ratings as they are completely out of whack with the current system. For one loss to negate 3-5 wins is crazy.

Chat is near silent compared to pre update (not including the new influx of players) and the willingness of the vets to help guide the newcomers is waning. I am just reiterating the current state of affairs.

On October 14, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Marishi said:

The same resource cost imbalance happens at level 11 and 12 too. I had to jump to level 12 earlier than I wanted too and actually felt quite weak because of it. I lost a lot of battles at level 12.

I have 7 rigs (would be 6, but can't sell back the one I don't use) and it's been smooth sailing until the last update. There have been a few minor balance issues, but sitting at rank 12, well this update has been a bit of a headache so far. Specifically the range of rail towers is difficult to overcome (impossible without the right rigs, which are expensive and difficult to obtain if you aren't winning a lot.)

My rating has dropped from the mid 4000's to 2800. 

If I wasn't able to 'skip' certain enemies I wouldn't control any sectors at all at this point. 

I swapped my defenses over to 4 rail towers and suddenly I'm not being invaded very often, so there is that, but I'm not playing the game to be defensive- I want to conquer. I'm not saying the towers need a major nerfing- I love a challenge, just cut the range a hair, or offer better range for rigs at rank 12 maybe?

Note for developers: as a player I am frustrated more because I have dedicated time and resources into expensive rigs and now that the game has changed I need to change my rig choices- I can't start over from square one, so I am left with the daunting task of buying new bays, new rigs, new research for the rigs and new equipment for them which means needing to win more battles. This would be fine except for the catch 22 of not being able to win without the new bays/rigs/research/equipment...

Talking to other players the bottle neck seems to be around level 12, so hopefully I can push past it. Eventually. The frustration makes the game less fun and myself less likely to kill my free time playing it. Otherwise- loving the game, though- keep up the good work ;)

East punk, I was thinking the rail towers were not effective enough and were too easily confused. I thought there was a bonus against shielded rigs, but if there is it is barely there and not noticeable.  (It would be cool if there was a gong like sound effect to go with hitting a shielded rig) But seriously, I can't change my defenses much until I see what superweapon changes.  1.7 nerfed and boosted all kinds of stuff and the we adjust to it and then the soft patched the game and things have changed again. So who knows man, I just know they are easily defeated at my level so surely they are at yours too.

but I agree, it is very frustrating that the adjust they game so much that you feel that you were robbed. I have been very vocal about that too.

My suggestions:

Drones wreak havoc with them and so does the hologram. At CR12 you may need to look at what rig combo you are using.  I use drone, missile, dash but I have seen all kinds of combos.  Try drones to distract while you dash busts the rail gun down?

i also find that many players that do not jab and weave in and out of their range suffer much. You may want to look at how you are attacking. :-)

hit me up in the game and I will chat with you.